It’s finally warm out and with Memorial Day so close, it is the unofficial kick-off of summer. It’s a time to fire up the grill, get outside, and enjoy time with friends and family. For many of us, our Memorial Day menu consists of burgers and hot dogs. This year let’s try something a bit different. Let’s flavor our burgers, make them stand out, and give them some interesting toppings. This recipe is a bit unique, we’re going to use whiskey to flavor our burgers, whiskey is a huge trend this year and is becoming more popular. Whiskey is great because it enhances the flavor of these burgers and is also stands up to the smoky flavor that grilling will give to your food. So, get outside, enjoy the sun, and make good food.
- (4) 6oz. hamburger patties
- ¼ c. whiskey
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 strips of turkey bacon
- 8 slices of smoked Cheddar cheese
- 2 large Vidalia onions, peeled, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 hamburger buns
- Place the bacon in a large skillet and cook until crisp. Remove to a paper towel lined plate to cool.
- Discard the remaining bacon fat and wipe out the skillet.
- Add the olive oil to the same skillet, then add the onions, cooking over low heat. Add the salt and cook, turning the onions often for 30-40 minutes until they are brown and caramelized. Set aside to cool.
- While the onions are cooking, add the whiskey and chopped garlic to a shallow dish. Put in the hamburger patties and let marinate for 15 minutes. Then flip and marinate another 15 on the other side.
- Grill the burgers over medium-high heat for 5 minutes per side for a medium/medium rare burger. Cook 10 minutes for well done.
- The last minute of grilling, add two slices of cheese to each burger and close the lid to melt the cheese.
- Remove the hamburgers to a platter.
- Place each hamburger on a bottom bun, then top with a large spoonful of caramelized onions and then one strip of bacon broken in half.
- Top each burger with the top bun and serve
Subscribe to the dietitians and the chef
Keep up to date on the latest content, here at the dietitians and the chef. Subscribe below.